Writing a sales message, website or blog is a bit like baking. You have to follow the recipe. If you’re new to writing or just want to make your blog or sales message better, be sure to have all 6 of these ingredients on hand:
1. Be sure to write a great headline… one that grabs attention and draws the reader in. Good examples are:
- Numbered lists: 5 tips, 3 mistakes, 10 reasons
- Questions: How do you use ______? What do you like about _______?
- State a position that is up for debate: Social Media is for Wimps! Don’t Give Away Your Work for Free
2. Make sure you talk about your service or product in terms of the benefit to the user. Features are great and help explain what’s new and different, but the benefit is what converts people. Solve a problem for them, or help them find a better solution that saves time, money &/or effort.
3. Offer something your visitors really need or want and make it attractive and easy to get. Make sure you’re tuned into your audience and speak their language.
4. Be sure to prove your claims. Back it up with information, links, credentials, testimonials, case studies and results.
5. Offer a guarantee… you believe in what you’re offering, you believe it will provide benefits your visitors need and you stand behind it. A guarantee removes the doubt and makes it easy to click the BUY NOW button.
6. Don’t forget to include a Call To Action (CTA). Tell your visitors what you want them to do next…
- Complete the information form
- Subscribe to your newsletter
- Register for a webinar
If you include all 6 ingredients, you’ll be well on your way to creating effective content for your sales message, website or blog. Use this “recipe” as a checklist to be sure you’re not missing an opportunity to guide your visitors down the sales funnel.
What are your tips for a great blog post or sales message?
About the Author: Deb Ward is owner and founder of iMedia Buzz, Inc. which offers a “turn-key” solution to small businesses who want to take their “online brochure” website and turn it into a dynamic, marketing tool. Get Found!