- It’s all about the Keywords…
Hello, all. This is my first post in the blogosphere. Please feel free to make suggestions for topics related to Content Marketing and Strategy and to ask questions. I plan to share tips and techniques with you all about “getting found” on the net. There are several steps you need to take to ensure that your website is set up for search engines to find you and keep coming back. Take a look:
This first set of tips is for getting your website all set with the basics so the search engines will find you:
4 Keyword Activities that Matter:
- Make sure you have a set of keyword phrases that you KNOW visitors are using to find your product or service. This may mean paying someone to do a detailed keyword analysis or simply asking existing customers what they used to find you. This is the starting point for the rest of the activities listed below.
- Use those keywords and phrases to create unique title tags for each page of your site. Titles in these tags should not exceed 70 characters, and you should place your strongest keywords up front. Do the same for the description tags (not to exceed 150 characters) — this is the small paragraph that shows up in the search results describing what the page is about. Remember to use your keywords/phrases.
- Now it’s time to create the compelling, engaging content for each page. Be sure to use the keywords for the heading on the page, as well as any sub-headings. It helps the reader and the search engines if you keep the content trim and easy to skim… almost like an outline with headings and bullets and lists. Most visitors will note spend more than 7 seconds to determine if they’re in the right place before clicking away.
- Be sure to include a “call to action” on every page, telling the visitor what you want them to do… “complete the contact form,” “enter a contest,” “subscribe to a newsletter”… and then link to the page where they do that. Make it easy to understand and to do.
So, there you have it. Get going on these and we’ll move on to what else you can be doing to improve your search results. “Business is being conducted on the Web… Be part of the Action.”
Please leave a comment, a question or suggestion for topics you might like to see addressed.